Position located in Rochester, MN
Responsibilities of the Virology Scientist:
- Independently design, rescue and characterize (in vitro) novel viruses or viral vectors.
- Plan and execute scientific research projects under minimal supervision.
- Collect, analyze, and present scientific data to the research and management teams; with proposed next steps.
- Use various engineering technologies to develop modified eukaryotic cell lines.
- Use basic and advanced molecular cloning techniques to generate constructs for vector production and cell modification.
- Develop, optimize, and perform molecular and cell-based assays for characterization of viruses and viral vectors.
- Be self-motivated and driven to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Coordinate research efforts and make key scientific and technical contributions for the strategic development of cross-functional projects.
- The candidate will perform independent experimental research but will work in close collaboration with the rest of the scientific team in a highly cross-functional and project-oriented environment.
Requirements of the Virology Scientist:
- A Ph.D. or masters in Molecular/Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Virology, or a related field.
- Must be proficient in molecular cloning.
- Must have experience in the cloning and production (engineering) of lentiviral vectors or have the background and skills to master in a short period of time.
- Experience optimizing experimental procedures to improve efficiency or product yields.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Valued Complementary Skills of the Virology Scientist:
- Eukaryotic cell culture skills: flow cytometry, cell proliferation, cell viability, and cell cloning.
- Molecular biology skills: qPCR, RT-PCR, ddPCR, and western blot.
- Virology skills: viral analytics (plaque assay, TCID50, IFA), virus production and amplification, and design, rescue, and characterization of negative sense single stranded RNA viruses.
Commonwealth Sciences is a professional recruiting firm specializing in Life Science, Medical Device, and Engineering Technologies. We unite industry professionals with exciting career opportunities by leveraging our technical expertise, advanced recruiting tools and years of staffing experience. CWS works with a variety of disciplines and levels from Research Associates to Scientists, Engineers, Managers and Directors. Our clients value the basic integrity, customer service and industry expertise that defines our organization.